Re: include ... why not search in same directory ?

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: include ... why not search in same directory ?
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 13:06:12 -0400

%% "Markus Mauhart" <address@hidden> writes:

  mm> OTOH I wouldnt be surprised when "in the current directory"
  mm> originally ment "in the current makefile's directory".

It didn't.  It always meant what the code actually does.

  mm> So why doesnt look make 1st inside the current makefile's own
  mm> directory as it is the case with the C-preprocessor ?  It's very
  mm> hard to work around this behaviour cause there is no builtin
  mm> variable $(__FILE__) which could be used for ...

  mm>     include $(dir $(__FILE__))/2.mk.

You can use the $(MAKEFILES) variable, if you have GNU make 3.80.

  mm> Any chance that this will be changed ?

If you mean the search order for include files, then no.  This behavior
has been around forever and make is too basic a tool to introduce these
kinds of major incompatibilities with previous versions.