bug with multiple targets in pattern rules?

From: Reich, Hannes
Subject: bug with multiple targets in pattern rules?
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 17:31:44 +0100

Hi there,

I have a makefile which says (in essence):

%.foo %.bar :
        touch $@

Now, I can't find a specific reference to pattern rules with multiple
targets in the manual, but it seems reasonable to me that this would be
the same thing as writing:

%.foo :
        touch $@
%.bar :
        touch $@

And indeed it works as expected for cases like
        make X.foo
        make X.bar
        make X.foo Y.foo Z.bar
(by 'as expected' I mean that make executes one 'touch' command for each
of the targets).

However... when I try
        make X.foo X.bar
I would expect the resulting output to be
        touch X.foo
        touch X.bar
But instead I get this:
        touch X.foo
        make: Nothing to be done for `X.bar'.

It appears that the second target is never remade if the '%' matches the
same string in two targets specified in the command line. Is this a bug?

I'm seeing this with make 3.79.1 on Linux and Solaris.

Thanks,

/Hannes

--
Hannes Reich, SCM & Build Engineer
Intel Communications, Shannon, Ireland

"Can we fix it? Yes we can." - Bob the Builder