parrallel make - order of process

From: Gareth James Hughes
Subject: parrallel make - order of process
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 15:14:59 +0200 (CEST)

Is there a variable that identifies the order of a parallel process?

i.e. I have a make job that performs some action on a collection of
flat-files (wildcarded), creating a stamp for each one.  I want to log the
process for each file in a log file of the form <foo-bar-$(PARALLEL_ORDER).log>.

So for make -j 4 I would process all the files (of which there are several
thousand), but only write to logs to four output files:-

foo-bar-1.log
foo-bar-2.log
foo-bar-3.log
foo-bar-4.log