Re: any tool(or gmake option) to rewrite GNUMakefiles into plain-make Ma

From: Joachim Gabler
Subject: Re: any tool(or gmake option) to rewrite GNUMakefiles into plain-make Makefile ?]
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 09:30:42 +0200

Martin Sebor wrote:

Yakov Lerner wrote:

Is there any option of gmake, or any automatic tool
that can do the following:
- given the GNUMakefile on input, produce equivalent
plain-make makefile ? That is, to rewrite the gnu makefile
into plain-vanilla makefile (expanding %-ss, rewriting
inlining includes and ifs, inlining all $() functions etc etc)

This is similar to '-n' option, but the output would be
in the plainMakefile format, (including dependencies).

Such a tool would allow us to use Sun's dmake
(Sun's distribute make) with out gnu makefiles.

>  > Who could spend the resources to do it? What's your conclusion?
> The easy way to do it is to hack the gmake sources, adding the option
> for this. I could do it, given encouragement of one of gmake
> maintainers.

Have you considered implementing the features of Sun's dmake
that you're interested in in GNU make instead? If they are
generally useful you might get more support for that project
than for the alternative you are proposing.

You might want to take a look at the qmake utility being part of the Sun Grid Engine (http://gridengine.sunsource.net). It is based on GNU make 3.38.1 and distributes the make tasks on any number of hosts in a Grid Engine cluster.

   Joachim

Martin