Re: Q: how to change search path for makefiles inside of makefile?

From: Tristan Van Berkom
Subject: Re: Q: how to change search path for makefiles inside of makefile?
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 11:55:50 -0400

I havent tried it without using a pattern charachter ('%') but this should probably work:

vpath makefileB path

but I usualy use:

vpath %.mk path...

Cheers,
                   -Tristan

Hi!

How can I change the search path for a makefileB inside makefileA ?

Inside makefileA I have a

include makefileB

I want to have make search for makefileB first in the current directory (the one I call make inside), then in the directory above and finally another level higher.

How do I implement this? Background: at the top level I have a makefile with all settings. Next I want to derive my current makefile from the superclass makefile.

Is this possible with GNU make?

If not: feature request: MAKEFILE_SEARCHPATH variable which can be defined inside a makefile!!!