Re: Setting target execution order

From: Matt Perry
Subject: Re: Setting target execution order
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 20:35:44 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003, Noel Yap wrote:

> I see.  I think Paul has a RFE about optional prereq's that sounds like
> exactly what you want.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by reference only.  Have you tried:
>
> gzip: $(filter-out gzip,$(MAKECMDGOALS))

Perfect!  That hadn't occured to me but it's exactly what I needed.
Thanks.

> Also, I had meant to say this before, but got distracted, you can't rely
> on the order of target invocation.  For example, what if --jobs were
> used?

I added a line that says ".NOTPARALLEL:" at the beginning of the makefile
and that seems to have prevented that problem from coming up.

BTW, whoever wrote the docs for GNU make really did a fantastic job.  I
went from knowing nothing about makefiles six days ago to confident
makefile author.

--
Matt Perry | matt at primefactor dot com