Re: How do I check if a directory exists?

From: Noel Yap
Subject: Re: How do I check if a directory exists?
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 15:58:27 -0500

Eric Hanchrow wrote:
> I'd amend that a little, like so:
>
>         target:
>                 -$(MAKE) -C my_dir
>
> Here's what I changed:
>
> * I didn't make `target' depend on a file named Makefile, since I'm
>   not certain that such a file actually exists (perhaps you named it
>   `foo.mk').

FYI, this command will only work if the makefile has a known name (eg Makefile,
makefile, or GNUmakefile).  It will not work if the makefile's name is foo.mk.

> * I put a dash in front of the command, so that if it fails (because
>   the directory doesn't exist, for example) your top-level make will
>   *not* fail -- I suspect this is what you want.

I would think one would want the build to fail if one of the submakes fail.

Noel
--
NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender.  Sender does
not waive confidentiality or privilege, and use is prohibited.