Re: some newbie-level questions (some style issues as well)

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: some newbie-level questions (some style issues as well)
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 08:18:56 -0500

%% "Robert P. J. Day" <address@hidden> writes:

  rpjd> 1) what is the recommended style for defining phony targets, as
  rpjd>    in, where does one actually define them?  all at once at the
  rpjd>    top of the makefile, or one by one as they are defined?

Everyone does it differently.  I don't think there's anything firm
enough to be considered a "recommendation".

I tend to do it close to the target being defined so it's easier to
see.

  rpjd> 2) what's the technical definition of an "implicit" rule?  does
  rpjd>    this include both the internal suffix rules and any
  rpjd>    user-defined pattern rules, as the make manual seems to
  rpjd>    suggest?

Yes; any rule that is not explicit (does not list explicit targets and
prerequisites) is implicit.

  rpjd>    and is there a run-time option to list all internal suffix
  rpjd>    rules that come with gnu make?

make -qpf /dev/null

Check the manual to see what these options mean.