Re: out-of-date "include"d files

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: out-of-date "include"d files
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 09:12:56 -0500

%% "Robert P. J. Day" <address@hidden> writes:

  rpjd> 1i'm reading the paper "recursive make considered harmful" and
  rpjd> noticed a feature on "include" that i didn't see mentioned in
  rpjd> the gnu make manual.

  rpjd> "once a Makefile has been read in, if any of its included files
  rpjd> were out of date (or do not yet exist), they are re-built, and
  rpjd> then make starts again, which has the result that make is now
  rpjd> working with up-to-date include files."

This capability is well-documented in the GNU make manual.

Note that only GNU make (as far as I'm aware) has this capability.

  rpjd> just to clarify the order of processing, let's say there were a
  rpjd> number of these included files, some of which were out of date
  rpjd> WRT their prereqs.  does make read the *entire* makefile, and
  rpjd> only *then* check if any of the included files were out of date,
  rpjd> rebuild just those files, and start all over again from the top,
  rpjd> throwing away the results of the first pass?

Yes.