Re: RFE: .NOT_PARALLEL extension to help with multiple targets

From: Noel Yap
Subject: Re: RFE: .NOT_PARALLEL extension to help with multiple targets
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 13:27:07 -0500

"Paul D. Smith" wrote:

> %% Noel Yap <address@hidden> writes:
>
>   ny> I think this was mentioned on the list a month or so ago and I was
>   ny> against the idea at the time.  I've since changed my mind.  The
>   ny> RFE is that the following should be allowed:
>
>   ny>   .NOT_PARALLEL: %.pm %_wrap.cc
>   ny>   %.pm %_wrap.cc: %.swg
>   ny>           $(SwigAction)
>
>   ny> which would mean that %.pm and %_wrap.cc files should not be built
>   ny> in parallel to one another.
>
> But, that isn't what that pattern rule means.  %.pm and %_wrap.cc are
> _NOT_ built "in parallel to one another".
>
> That syntax tells make that it can build _both_ files with only _one_
> invocation of the command script.

Really?  I had thought:

  %.pm %_wrap.cc: %.swg
        $(SwigAction)

was equivalent to:

  %.pm: %.swg
        $(SwigAction)

  %_wrap.cc: %.swg
        $(SwigAction)

My tests suggest this isn't true.  If you confirm, it sounds like GNU make
already has the functionality I want.

Thanks,
Noel
--
NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender.  Sender does
not waive confidentiality or privilege, and use is prohibited.