Re: Help with Make

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Help with Make
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 21:18:37 -0500

%% address@hidden writes:

  pc> I need some help in finishing a Make file I am working on.  I have
  pc> a PC running windows XP.  I have cygwin installed so I'm using the
  pc> Unix version of Make ( I am running Make through cygwin).

Unfortunately the version of GNU make shipped with Cygwin is not the
same as the one distributed by the FSF; there have been changes made to
that version which we don't know about here.

It's best to ask about the Cygwin version of make on the Cygwin mailing
lists.

However:

  pc> This is my  "Makefile"

  pc> local:
  pc>       @$(MAKE) -f makelocal create_dependancy

  pc> test:
  pc>       @$(MAKE) -f all

Here you are running "make -f all"; that means make will try to read the
file "all" as a makefile.  That appears to be where you're error is
coming from, because you don't have a file "all" that make can read as a
makefile.

See the GNU make manual for a discussion of the various options to GNU
make, what they mean, and what their proper format is.

Good luck!