Re: non-recursive build question

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: non-recursive build question
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 01:06:55 -0400

%% Noel Yap <address@hidden> writes:

  ny> OTOH, you can have a different definition of "updated".  Order
  ny> rules consider something "updated" iff that something exists.

I'm not sure that this is quite true... maybe we're just have a
terminology problem.

Order-only rules don't care about "updated-ness" in any way.  All they
do is enforce an order in which make will perform steps, without making
any statement about dependencies.  If A has an order-only prerequisite
B, then _IF_ B needs to be updated it will always be updated before A.
Furthermore, the decision on whether to update A will not take any
account of whether B had to be updated or not.