Re: targets built to an "output" directory.

From: Ian Dunbar
Subject: Re: targets built to an "output" directory.
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 12:26:30 +0900

> There must be a rule to make the prerequisite in one case and not the
other.

Looking at the make database from -p there are really no differences in the
rules except for the obvious replacement of what OUTDIR actually is at the
time. There are certainly differences in how make ends up processing the
rules. so I am going to put it down as a limitation of make rather than
something that can be solved by changing the makefile.

There seems to also be some strangeness with VPATH (at least in the debug
output, maybe not internally, I can't really say) depending on whether the
directories in VPATH exist at start time, or are created later.

> It sounds like you have thought about the various possibilities but this
> is a pretty complicated way to run a build.  Perhaps there is another
> simpler approach that you could take.

Possible workaround for the moment is to get rid of the outdir stuff, and
call make from what would be the outdir: make -f ../Makefile "SRC=../src". I
think that this will be ok, since in the real system I have a wrapper
makefile anyway.

> You may already have seen it but I think that you might be able to glean
some good advice from Paul's
> VPATH tips.
>
> http://make.paulandlesley.org/vpath.html

Hmm, yeah, the conclusion seems to be to use ${OUTDIR} as I was using it :-)
I am not sure how strict the "VPATH doesn't find targets" is and if I am
breaking that. Alternative is to switch to Paul's multi-arch way, but I find
it overly complicated for what should be a simple task. It may be the only
option though.

> Best of luck,

Thanks! I'll make do with the invoke from the outdir workaround for now.

Thanks for your help!

Ian

---