Re: Math and GMake

From: Tzafrir Cohen
Subject: Re: Math and GMake
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 22:03:30 +0200

On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 02:00:54PM -0400, Ken Smith wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 01:27:07PM -0400, Noel Yap wrote:
> > Ken Smith wrote:
> >
> > >I'm basically pushing on gmake to see how far it can go so I can design
> > >a generalized framework that can work within a particular environment.
> > >I am willing to use external code and very well may offload some of this
> > >sort of processing to scripts.  I am interested in using gmake
> > >primitives alone inasmuch is possible to keep the framework managable.
> >
> > I can completely understand this goal, but since gmake is foremost a text
> > processing tool, I wouldn't hold out too much hope for this (that is,
> > possibly, until GUILE is supported ;-)
>
> I actually came up with a fairly exciting idea over the weekend.  Here's
> the basic idea.
>
> Fork a perl script which opens a domain socket.  Put the domain socket
> in the build directory somewhere.

[ snip ]

I have an even more revulutionary idea. Why nor rewrite make in perl,
and allow the use of perl code for the rules? This will make everything
simpler.

I have even come up with a good name for it: cons

Back to the original question: make is a a text processor. It tends to
use extra space and variables, and generally should never reassign a
value to a variable. thus recurtion is probably not a Good Thing with
gmake.

--
mailto:address@hidden       +---------------------------+