Re: MAKEFLAGS and auto-including another makefile

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: MAKEFLAGS and auto-including another makefile
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 15:11:40 -0500

%% Ken Smith <address@hidden> writes:

  ks> I think the script approach is cleaner than this.  People get used
  ks> to magic environment stuff and forget about it.  Then, when it
  ks> breaks, you may not know where to look.  If you are invoking a
  ks> script which is named differently from gmake or make, then you
  ks> know that you are getting something special.

I always use and recommend wrapper scripts for these kinds of builds
myself.

Not only can you manage things like the -I list, but you can do lots of
other useful things which are difficult/impossible to do in make: you
can clean out/canonicalize the user's environment so that values for
LD_LIBRARY_PATH etc. don't blow up the build (you can remove individual
variables from within make easily enough, but from a shell script you
can clean the ENTIRE environment).  You can set to a new group, if
necessary.  And other useful stuff.