Re: suddenly, "recursive make considered harmful" makes piles of sense

From: Alessandro Vesely
Subject: Re: suddenly, "recursive make considered harmful" makes piles of sense
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 15:45:32 +0100

"Robert P. J. Day" wrote:
> [...]
> and it was just yesterday that it suddenly dawned on me how to make
> this much simpler, and only after i started redesigning the structure
> did it occur to me that this might be what miller's paper might be
> talking about.

It is not. Peter Miller's emphasis is about make being able to traverse
the whole dependency tree the way it reckons, rather that traversing
it a sub-tree at a time in the order dictated by the top-level makefile
without ever being able to see the whole tree at once. E.g. using
`include' rather than `$(MAKE)'.