Embedding newlines in commands

From: Igor Pechtchanski
Subject: Embedding newlines in commands
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 18:40:20 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

I'm using GNU make 3.80-1 on Cygwin, and encountered the same problem as
described in
<http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-make/2002-10/msg00049.html>.  The
reply from Paul D. Smith later in that thread seems to indicate that this
bug should be fixed, but any attempt to actually embed a newline in my
Makefile results in the "*** missing separator.  Stop." error.

Was this ever fixed?  If so, what is the syntax for embedding newlines in
commands?  I'm more than willing to look at the source, so a pointer to
the specific ChangeLog entry that describes this fix would also be
helpful.
Thanks in advance,
        Igor
--
                                http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_                address@hidden
     |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'           Igor Pechtchanski, Ph.D.
    '---''(_/--'  `-'\_) fL     a.k.a JaguaR-R-R-r-r-r-.-.-.  Meow!

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT