Re: make file error

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: make file error
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 17:58:50 -0500

%% Mohammad Ali <address@hidden> writes:

  ma> I am using SCO Unix open server version 5:0.5. Today I tried to
  ma> install make from the tar file make-3.80. When I sh ./configure I
  ma> get lots of errors.

What errors do you get?

  ma> The log is attached with this mail.

The log is only useful once we know what errors you got.  It's perfectly
normal to see errors in the config.log file: the entire point of
configure is to find out what features your system supports and which
ones it doesn't.  It does this by trying to use lots of features, and
getting errors for ones you don't support.

  ma> Make.new fatal error: Symbol referencing errors. No output written
  ma> to make.new collect2: Id returned 1 exit status

You have only included the last error message: this is just a summary
saying, basically, "something went wrong".

When reporting errors it's always important to show all the error
messages, or at least the first errors (if there are too many to send
them all).  The first message is almost always the real error.
Sometimes errors after that are real, and sometimes they're just a
result of the first error.