Re: @MAINTAINER_MODE_TRUE@

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: @MAINTAINER_MODE_TRUE@
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 14:39:01 -0500

%% Ben Simpson <address@hidden> writes:

  bs> I am experiencing the error message: "make: *** No rule to make target
  bs> address@hidden@', needed by `Makefile.in'.  Stop." When I try to
  bs> make a project. I have checked online and many people are experiencing
  bs> this problem, however there is no documentation for a fix, so I am
  bs> emailing you.

This isn't a problem with make.  I don't know what to tell you.

Autoconf and automake use tokens contained within "@", like
"@MAINTAINER_MODE_TRUE@", in Makefile.in files.  These tokens are
supposed to be replaced by real values when autoconf translates the
Makefile.in file into a Makefile.

Obviously this replacement not happening when you run configure.

  bs> I run ./configure to generate the files necessary for the next step:

  bs> "Please run 'automake m4/Makefile' to create m4/Makefile.in"

  bs> I do this an receive the error message listed above about
  bs> @MAINTAINER_MODE_TRUE@

You're getting the error message when you run automake?  Not make?

I don't see any make-related problem here.  You should contact the folks
in the automake or autoconf projects, and/or check with the project
you're trying to build.

Sorry I couldn't be more help...