Re: "unparallelizing" a recursive make

From: Darin Johnson
Subject: Re: "unparallelizing" a recursive make
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 21:40:46 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

> What size delay are you talking about for the single directory? Are
> you using a/any/several $(shell) commands to get build parameters?
> I've found that's one of the biggest slowdowns for a make - recursive
> or non. (Though I have limited experience with Cygwin, if that's any
> different)

There are not $(shell) commands.  The thing that takes time is in
removing the builtin rules, and now it takes only a second to figure
out that nothing needs building.

My earlier estimates are off though.  I was just scaling up based
on the number of subdirectories to be built.  But after counting everything,
it turns out the directory I tested with accounts for nearly 1/4th of the
total .o files, so that's not a fair calculation.   Maybe it'll take only 5
seconds
to startup because of .d files.