FW: Make target issue

From: Highley, David M
Subject: FW: Make target issue
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 11:31:55 -0700

Using GNU make 3.80 in the Cygwin environment we are seeing an
interesting inconsistent behavior. If we use this construct:

$(TARGET_LIST)::
        rules

It seems to work for libraries, but not executable builds. When we try
this for the executables it builds the first one in the list and does a
normal exit. So we tried this in an effort to work around the issue.

all: $(LIB_LIST) $(APP_LIST)

Then we created an individual target for each library and each
application. Seems like bad form since they are all duplicates of each
other:
lib or app::
        $(SET_E); cd $@ && PATH=$(PATH) "$(MAKE)"

What we see from this experiment is the all the libraries build and then
the make stops. Currently testing a mixture of a shell loop in a target
to build all the libraries and individual build targets for the
libraries which tested individually has worked. By the way we are using
the cl.exe compiler and the link.exe linker, from Studio 7.1.

all: libs $(APP_LIST)

libs:
        $(SET_E); \
        for dir in $(DIRS); \
        do
                (cd $$dir && PATH=$(PATH) "$(MAKE)"); \
        done

Our goal is to flatten the make process to expose more opportunities for
doing parallel work.

David Highley