Re: Are makefiles intended to be portable across platforms?

From: John Graham-Cumming
Subject: Re: Are makefiles intended to be portable across platforms?
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 17:13:14 -0400

On Fri, 2005-07-01 at 00:05 +0300, Angel Tsankov wrote:
> Am I taking a bad path if I try to write one makefile to manage (e.g., build
> & clean) a project on a couple of platforms?
> I'm asking this question, 'casue makefiles seem not to be very portable,
> right?
> For example, to define a clean target one might have to write:
>
> clean: ; if exist OutputFiles rmdir /S /Q OutputFiles
>
> or
>
> clean: ; if exist OutputFiles rmdir OutputFiles -R
>
> depending on the platform that make is run on.

The Make language definitely has some "Unix" roots (e.g. the use of
space as a list separator), but I've written some pretty successful
cross platform Makefiles, and so have many others.

You could read my article on Cross-Platform Builds in Dr Dobbs January
2005 (you'll find a free copy of the article here: http://www.electric-
cloud.com/resources/).

Make itself is cross-platform.

John.