Re: Clarification: deleting intermediate files

From: Ken Smith
Subject: Re: Clarification: deleting intermediate files
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 14:27:33 -0500

On Thu, Jan 19, 2006 at 03:51:44PM +0000, Boris Kolpackov wrote:
> Ken Smith <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I believe (from section 10.4 Chains of Implicit Rules and 10.5.1
> > Introduction to Pattern Rules) that adding all the files explicitly to
> > the dependency graph would automatically mark them all as intermediate.
>
> I think that files, explicitly mentioned as targets or prerequisites,
> are never intermediate, e.g.:
>
> all: foo.o foo.h
>
> %.o: %.c
>
> %.c: %.c.m4
>
> %.c: %.h.m4
>

> foo.c is intermediate while foo.h is not.

Right.  The only file that is explicitly mentioned as a prerequisite is
$(doc).pdf.  I don't want that file to be intermediate so everything is
fine there.

> > It is only marking .dvi and .ps as intermediate.
>
> This could be a bug. test.dvi is the target that triggers
> the rule. So perhaps the also_makes targets (%.aux %.log %.out) are
> not properly checked for intermediateness. I've fixed quite a few
> bug in the also_makes logic where properties that got set for
> primary target were forgotten about when it came to also_makes
> targets.

So do you believe that these files *should* be marked as intermediate?
If so, then this would have to be a bug since they are not being so
marked.  I'm fine using .INTERMEDIATE: for now but should I log this in
Savannah?

  Ken