"Advanced Auto-Dependency Generation" and lex/yacc (again)

From: Williams, James P
Subject: "Advanced Auto-Dependency Generation" and lex/yacc (again)
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 09:21:21 -0600

I'm trying to implement automatic dependency generation using the excellent idea posted here.

   http://make.paulandlesley.org/autodep.html

The following email seems to describe the problem I'm having.

   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-make/2001-12/msg00014.html

In my case, however, I'm trying to implement this in a general way that can be #included by Makefiles from many different applications.  Also, files other than lex.c files can #include yacc.h.  So the dependency graph could look like this.

   prog.exe: goo.o lex.o yacc.o

   goo.o: goo.c yacc.h
   lex.o: lex.c yacc.h
   yacc.o: yacc.c

   lex.c: lex.l
   yacc.c yacc.h: yacc.y

And just because there's a lex.l doesn't mean there's an associated yacc.y.

How can I teach make these dependencies in a general way without having to write them by hand, using "Advanced Auto-Dependencies"?  I don't see a way to detect the goo.o/yacc.h dependency because it requires that yacc be run first.  I'm coming to the conclusion that I must return to automatically building the dependency files using implicit rules, i.e., "Basic Auto-Dependencies" (see first link above), with all of the problems that introduces.  Is that really the best way to do this?

Thanks,

Jim