Re: parallel rebuild

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: parallel rebuild
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 14:21:21 -0500

%% "Angel Tsankov" <address@hidden> writes:

  at> I have a makefile that looks something like this (the build target has
  at> been omitted):

  at> .PHONY: clean build build_after_clean rebuild
  at> rebuild:   clean build_after_clean
  at>  @echo "rebuilt"
  at> build_after_clean: clean build
  at>  @echo "built"
  at> clean:
  at> # remove object and output files
  at>  @echo "cleaned"

  at> I should probably add that "make rebuild" works fine every time it
  at> is executed. I'm using GNU make 3.80 on Windows XP Pro. How can I
  at> cope with this unfortunate situation?

Interesting.  I wasn't aware that parallelism worked on Windows
platforms.

Anyway, nowhere above have you declared that the "clean" target depends
on "build".  Also, you don't show the "build" target so all we can do is
assume it is not defined to depend on "clean".

That being the case, the order in which "build" is invoked relative to
"clean" is not defined.  It could be invoked first, or second.  I'm not
sure if this is your problem or not; without a definition of "build" I
don't see any other issue above.