Re: how the make "-I" option is passed to sub-makes

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: how the make "-I" option is passed to sub-makes
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 15:34:57 -0500

%% "Robert P. J. Day" <address@hidden> writes:

  rpjd> i think i'm reading something incorrectly, but what is the proper
  rpjd> way to do a top-level invocation of

  rpjd>   $ make -Idir1 -Idir2 ...

  rpjd> and have those include options passed recursively to sub-makes?  i was
  rpjd> trying to do this with the MAKEFLAGS variable but i'm clearly doing
  rpjd> something wrong.

  rpjd> i don't want to have to set that MAKEFLAGS variable explicitly in
  rpjd> the environment -- i want all include information to be supplied as
  rpjd> options to the make command itself.

You don't need to set MAKEFLAGS at all.

The options you specified on the command line will automagically be
passed down to sub-makes for you, unless otherwise specified in the GNU
make manual.

-I is definitely given to sub-makes.