Re: Automatic goal trace back

From: Bhaskar G
Subject: Re: Automatic goal trace back
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 10:36:02 +0530

Hi,

Here is an example

a: b
        @echo "A"
        @touch a
        @ls a
c: b
        @echo "C"
        @touch c
        @ls c
b:
        @echo "B"
        @ls b

when I run gmake a then it would return with an error code of 1.

I would like gmake to print the target that was being built ie, b and it was trying to satisfy the condition for a.
so gmake should print b and a.

If I run gmake c then it should return the goals
b and c.

Thanks & Regards,
Bhaskar G
Sr. Technical Leader
Philips Semiconductors / CTO / ST&A/SDM

E-mail:        address@hidden
Phone:       +91 80 2557 9000, Ext 1549
Fax:            +91 80 2556 1243
GSM:         +91 944 876 1340

Office:        Philips Innovation Campus, 11th floor, Tower C
Address:   No 1, Murphy Road, Ulsoor, Bangalore - 560 008
Country:    INDIA

John Graham-Cumming <address@hidden>

Sent by:
John Graham-Cumming <address@hidden>

04/18/2006 09:21 PM

Please respond to
address@hidden

Bhaskar G/BTC/SC/address@hidden
cc
address@hidden
Subject
Re: Automatic goal trace back
Classification

Bhaskar G wrote:
> Is there a way to print if a make target can not be built, or a command
> fails. I.E. which goals (nested) was make trying to satisfy when it failed.

Could you provide a clearer description (perhaps even with a small
example Makefile) that shows what you would like to achieve?   I can't
quite tell from what you've written.

John.
--
John Graham-Cumming
address@hidden

Home: http://www.jgc.org/
Blog: http://www.jgc.org/blog/

POPFile: http://getpopfile.org/
GNU Make Standard Library: http://gmsl.sf.net/
GNU Make Debugger: http://gmd.sf.net/
Fast, Parallel Builds: http://www.electric-cloud.com/

Sign up for my Spam and Anti-spam Newsletter
at http://www.jgc.org/