RE: Cant seem to figure how to make header file dependencies

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: RE: Cant seem to figure how to make header file dependencies
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 10:20:39 -0400

%% "Leeuwesteijn,Joost" <address@hidden> writes:

  l> You can still remove all the .o files after the lib is created, but
  l> that wouldn't make much sense because everything will have to be
  l> rebuilt at the next make invocation; the whole purpose of make is
  l> to save time and only rebuild things that need to be rebuilt;
  l> reusing already created files.

This is not true: GNU make is smart enough to avoid rebuilding files
that it knows it doesn't need.  This only works with "incremental" tools
such as ar (or if you have an incremental linker, but those are
exceedingly rare these days).

These are called "intermediate files"; see the section "Chains of
Implicit Rules" in the GNU make manual.