Re: Newbie question - testing for OS. . .

From: Mike Shal
Subject: Re: Newbie question - testing for OS. . .
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 18:34:02 -0500

On 12/19/06, Dave Korn <address@hidden> wrote:
On 19 December 2006 22:08, bC wrote:

>   I've built a couple simplistic make files to install my program, needed
> data files and libraries.... one aimed at being used on Fedora Core 3, the
> other on Fedora Core 5.  Those are currently the two favorites of my target
> audience; and I've found them to vary in what libraries are present by
> default.
>
>   I'd like to maintain just the one make file... so, I need a test and
> decision based upon which version of the OS the make utility finds itself
> running under.  I would appreciate a kick-start in the right direction.

  Perhaps something along the lines of

OS_VERSION=$(shell uname)

Though keep in mind that everytime you use $(OS_VERSION) it will
execute another shell command. If you use $(OS_VERSION) in more than
one place, you probably want:

OS_VERSION:=$(shell uname)

(note the ":=") This will execute the shell only once, when the
variable is declared.

-Mike