Re: need help with $(call)

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: need help with $(call)
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 09:00:58 -0400

On Fri, 2007-08-03 at 01:30 -0500, address@hidden wrote:
> .EXPORT_ALL_VARIABLES:

Your problem is right here.

When you say this, make tries to export ALL variables.  In order to
export them, it has to expand them.  So, whenever make wants to run a
shell it will expand all the variables including mathexp.

But, when mathexp is expanded directly, rather than through a call
function, the value of $(1) is empty and you get the error you see.

You should probably not use .EXPORT_ALL_VARIABLES, because it's pretty
inefficient.  But, if you must use it, be sure that your call function
names all contain "." or "-" or some other character that is not a valid
shell variable character name, so that make won't export them.