Re: Conditionally add parameters to CXXFLAGS

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Conditionally add parameters to CXXFLAGS
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2007 09:06:41 -0500

On Sun, 2007-12-02 at 12:53 +0000, Greg Chicares wrote:
> On 2007-12-02 07:41Z, N Galpin wrote:
> >
> > I'd like to define multiple build targets in my makefile, and depending
> > on which target I pass to make, add different flags to $(CXXFLAGS).
> >
> > For example, if i run `make release` I'd like this target to append
> > -O3 onto CXXFLAGS, or if I run `make debug`, I'd like to append
> > -g etc.
>
> If you write something like this in your makefile:

This is a perfect job for target-specific variables.  Just say:

    release: CXXFLAGS += -O3
    release: all

    debug: CXXFLAGS += -g
    debug: all

Remember that these variables are inherited by the prerequisites of the
target they're defined for.

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://make.mad-scientist.us