removing a word matching a string?

From: Mike Tedder
Subject: removing a word matching a string?
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 16:35:33 +0900

Hello all,

I am using make-3.81 and have a list of source paths built using
the $(wildcard) function.  I would like to pass this list to VPATH,
however it also includes a "build" subdirectory which contains the
object files.  Basically the directory list looks something like
this:

        /path
        /path/build
        /path/build/debug
        /path/build/release
        /path/somelib
        /path/otherlib

I have tried using $(filter-out) and $(patsubst) functions, but
neither seem to be able to match just a "build" string, even using
the '%' wildcard character.

The best I have been able to come up with so far is:

        $(filter-out %build, $(SOURCES))

Which removes /path/build, but does not remove /path/build/debug or
/path/debug/release.  Placing the '%' wildcard after "build" seems to
have no effect at all.  Explicitly specifying "/build/debug", etc. will
work, but this is obviously a hack, not to mention my directory tree
is more complicated than this.

Another idea is to somehow have $(wildcard) not pick up a path with
"build" in it, but from the documentation, it doesn't look like that's
possible.  And unfortunately, even though $(findstring) finds the
"build" string within the word, it doesn't return the actual string
that it found it in, so I can't use that in the $(filter-out) function
either.

Any suggestions from the make gurus out there?

--
- breakpoint / brainstorm