Re: Different processing to achive same end result ? Can it be done.

From: Mike Shal
Subject: Re: Different processing to achive same end result ? Can it be done.
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 12:32:00 -0400

On 8/22/08, EXT-Pennington, Dale K <address@hidden> wrote:
>  However, some of the .h files from the idl compiler need to be hand
>  edited before they are compiled into objects. To automate this part, I
>  just intend to save versions of the as-generated and as-modified .h's
>  and then do a simple script in the rule that would do something like :
>
>  If( new.h = as_generated.h)
>   copy as-modified.h into final.h
>  Else
>   report error
>  Endif
>
>  The trick is only some of the .h's need editing, and I prefer not to
>  keep lots of redundant reference files.

Would it work if your script looked like this?

If( as-modified.h exists)
   If( new.h = as_generated.h)
    copy as-modified.h into final.h
   Else
    report error
   Endif
Else
  copy new.h into final.h
Endif

Based on my understanding of what you described, I think you should be
able to get away with a single make rule for idl files that runs your
idl translator and then executes your script regardless of which class
it is. The script can then differentiate between your two classes
based on whether or not 'as-modified.h' exists for that particular idl
file. If it does, you would expect to have a corresponding
as-generated.h file. If as_modified.h doesn't exist, you don't need to
have the reference as_generated.h to do a comparison, so you just copy
what was generated from idl to the final location.

-Mike