Re: GNU Make on Linux Feeding All Commands Through ksh

From: David Boyce
Subject: Re: GNU Make on Linux Feeding All Commands Through ksh
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 13:15:03 -0500

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 12:45 PM, Galen Seitz <address@hidden> wrote:
> I just checked a couple of systems here.  Both Centos 5.2 and Ubuntu 8.04
> appear to have the real ksh, so your info regarding ksh and Linux may be out
> of date.

That may be, and if so it's a good thing, but I doubt the solution is
across the board because some distros (e.g. Debian) have higher
standards of "purity" than others. I just took a look at Fedora 8,
Debian Etch, and Slackware 10 (admittedly this one's a few years old)
and found no ksh. Also, are you sure your kshells weren't installed
"aftermarket"?

But anyway, this is somewhat off track. The salient point is that
SHELL=/bin/ksh does not make for portable makefiles because vendors
have never gotten their acts together vis-a-vis ksh.

-David