Re: Equivalent to VPATH for searching for Makefiles?

From: Garrett Cooper
Subject: Re: Equivalent to VPATH for searching for Makefiles?
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 20:03:30 -0800

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 4:27 PM, Mike Shal <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 12/4/08, Garrett Cooper <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 2:04 PM, Garrett Cooper <address@hidden> wrote:
>>  > On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 11:55 AM, Sam Ravnborg <address@hidden> wrote:
>>  >> This works only for the submake you spawn from the Makefile
>>  >> that contains the assignment.
>>  >>
>>  >>        Sam
>
> This bit of info seems to be what you are missing.

Yeah, I missed that.

>>  >
>>  address@hidden pciutils-3.0.3]$ make
>>
>> NOVA_WORKSPACE=/scratch/hoover -f Makefile.nova
>>  Makefile.nova:3: nova-binos-compat.mk: No such file or directory
>>
>> make-3.81: *** No rule to make target `nova-binos-compat.mk'.  Stop.
>>
>> address@hidden pciutils-3.0.3]$ cat Makefile.nova
>>  override MAKEFLAGS      += --include=$(NOVA_WORKSPACE)/build/make-lib/
>>

>>  include nova-binos-compat.mk
>>
>>  all clean install:
>>         $(MAKE) \
>>         CROSS_COMPILE=\"$(CROSS_COMPILE)\" \
>>         HOST=\"$(TARGET)-unknown-linux\" \
>>         CFLAGS=\"-isystem -I$(NOVA_INSTALL_BASE)/usr/include\" \
>>         LDFLAGS=\"-L$(NOVA_INSTALL_BASE)/usr/lib -lc -lzlib\" \
>>         $@
>>

>> Ideas?
>
> I don't know the best way to do it, but you could have another
> Makefile that sets MAKEFLAGS appropriately, and then does the '$(MAKE)
> -f Makefile.nova'. That seemed to work when I tried it, though since
> Makefile.nova just does a $(MAKE) I got into an infinite loop :). It
> did find the included .mk file, though.
>
> -Mike

Well, the way we do it right now is via a script for the initial
invocation, but I might just try and simplify this .

I did run into the infinite loop though last night. It was pretty
awesome. After properly setting the variables though and making sure
the Makefile is named Makefile.nova, things work.

Kind of a bummer though -- I really wanted to get away from using
scripts without having to redesign the Make system too much for now..

Thanks!
-Garrett