RE: Semi-Parallelizing

From: EXT-Pennington, Dale K
Subject: RE: Semi-Parallelizing
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 13:06:21 -0600

Actually the real file does use pseudo-targets, I explicitly left them
out of the example to shorten the message.

> This seems like a rather drastic "solution". If you elaborate
> on the "ar issues" a better one may show up.

The Gmake manual explicity mentions potential problems if you have to
different processes attempt to modify and archive at the same time.

> For this I think you might be better served by the
> .NOTPARALLEL special target.

Ah, I missed that one. Definitely works better as its an override at the
local level, rather than depending on an override from the calling
level. If I read the docs correctly, just have .NOTPARALLEL as a target
anywhere in the makefile keeps that makefile from going parallel.

> You're already invoking make recursively; it's a recursive
> build model. So I don't see anything particularly troubling
> about this pattern.

Actually, I had been avoiding actually invoking the local make file from
itself. To date it had been upper level make files invoking lower level
make files. I may be a bit more paranoid then most over recursion, and
wanting to make sure that I do not get into an infinite recursion
situation.