Re: Variable order of operations

From: Philip Guenther
Subject: Re: Variable order of operations
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 10:00:09 -0800

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 9:56 AM, Harvey Chapman
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Philip Guenther wrote:
>> What behavior makes you say that the ifeq is being evaluated after the
>> 'cgi' target?
>
> Sorry, I should've attached output.
> With debugging: Notice the "HIDE=" that prints after the "cgi" target.
>
> address@hidden:~/nm_test_backup/webgui$ DEBUG=1 make
> Building...  cgi
> DEBUG="1" GUMSTIX="" BUILD_ARM="" CC="cc" CXX="g++" AR="ar" make -C cgi
> make[1]: Entering directory `/home/hchapman/nm_test_backup/webgui/cgi'
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/hchapman/nm_test_backup/webgui/cgi'
> HIDE=

Gotcha.  Based on that, my guess is that you indented the assignments
with a tab.  The make rules say that any line that starts with a tab
is part of the commands section for the previous target, so that would
result in the HIDE assignments being commands for the 'all' target,
which would explain the behavior you're seeing.

Philip Guenther