rule w/multiple targets causes failure in -j mode; how to fix

From: Jamie Cuesta
Subject: rule w/multiple targets causes failure in -j mode; how to fix
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 11:38:13 -0700 (PDT)

Running latest (2008/03) MinGW make.  Running make non-recursively with a
single makefile.  Some rules are unavoidably multi-target, and they are thus
because a single tool invocation generates multiple files, sometimes of
different types/extensions (and this cannot be changed; in some cases the MIMO
nature of the tool is a correct design; in other cases the tool is
proprietary/unchangable; an example of the latter is a C compilation that
results in a .o file and a .h file intended for use by asm source files).

Anyway, running sequential-mode make succeeds, whereas running make -j leads to
a failure when, for example, make attempts to run the rule twice simultaneously
on the two targets in the multi-target rule.

I've searched the web and haven't found a gnu make specific solution to this
problem; I find that clearmake and other makes offer a "target group"
concept/feature (joining target list elements with '+') which seem to address
this exact problem, but while I've seen 2 year old email threads discussing the
possibility of implementing this feature in gnu make, the feature does not
exist in the current gnu make, so there appears to be some bias against it.

What's the preferred way to overcome this problem?

TIA,  Jamie