Re: Is the remaking of makefiles still used much?

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Is the remaking of makefiles still used much?
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2009 12:46:57 -0400

On Wed, 2009-06-10 at 02:24 +1000, Anthony Shipman wrote:
> The idea described in the manual is that a Makefile might be stored in an RCS
> or SCCS file and make will update the Makefile if it is out of date wrt the
> RCS or SCCS file. But in these days of automake and autoconf and DVCS etc.
> does anyone still use this feature?

Maybe not for automatic checkouts, but automatically remade makefiles
are still widely used as a way of doing "dynamic makefile programming",
especially for those who don't want to figure out how to use
$(eval ...).

Lots of people still use them for automatic dependency generation
(although the "best practice" here doesn't use this method).

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://make.mad-scientist.us