Re: Alt. Solution to Incorrectly Applied Target-Specific Variable

From: Sean Smith
Subject: Re: Alt. Solution to Incorrectly Applied Target-Specific Variable
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 15:33:24 -0500

I should have made it more clear that the MidLevelFunc is tied to a fortran module, so the target name is not flexible. But I did find a solution to this problem by using a conditional in the variable definitions. In case anybody else comes across this problem:

ifeq (${MAKECMDGOALS},a.out)
 LowLevelFunc = LowLevelFunc1.o
else ifeq(${MAKECMDGOALS},alt_a.out)
 LowLevelFunc = LowLevelFunc2.o
endif

a.out : Main1.o MidLevelFunc.o LowLevelFunc1.o
  ${CC} $? ${LIB} -o $@

alt_a.out : Main2.o MidLevelFunc.o LowLevelFunc2.o
  ${CC} $? ${LIB} -o $@

Main1.o : MidLevelFunc.o
Main2.o : MidLevelFunc.o

MidLevelFunc.o : ${LowLevelFunc}