Re: Help-make Digest, Vol 82, Issue 4

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Help-make Digest, Vol 82, Issue 4
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 07:57:21 -0400

On Wed, 2009-09-09 at 15:07 +0800, xiangfeng shen wrote:
> Thanks Smith for reminder.
> I use HP-UX and can use --numeric-owner option for tar command to let
> tar use numeric owner, not to use the original owner.

First, please do not reply to digest messages.  Your email client should
be able to break the digest into individual messages and you can then
reply to the specific message only.  If your email client can't do this
you need to get a better one, or else turn off digests and receive email
from the list one at a time.

Second, please don't top-post.

Third, please don't include everything from the original message in your
reply.  Edit it to include only the relevant parts you are replying to.

Finally, I do not believe --numeric-owner is the answer to your problem.
Instead, look at the -o (--no-same-owner) flag to tar.

Cheers.