Change makefile for profiling ?

From: Axel Etzold
Subject: Change makefile for profiling ?
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 11:21:57 +0200

Dear all,

I have doenloaded a (quite large GNU-licensed) software package that implements
a script language for some very specific calculations.
This software makes use of all sorts of libraries written in C for
arbitrary precision calculations, export to Gnuplot etc.

It is installed using the usual make-make install process on Linux.

Is there a way I could change the Makefile such that profiling
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profiling_(computer_programming))
can be enabled ?

Thank you very much.

Best regards,