Re: start and stop a program by make

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: start and stop a program by make
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 10:29:41 -0400

On Thu, 2009-10-15 at 15:49 +0200, Martin Mensch wrote:

> I would like to start a program by using a make rule. I know that
> compilers and so on are all programs. The ones that I want to start do
> not finish and so don't send an error code back and as much as I have
> seen make then just waits for the error code to come.

There is no way for make to not wait for a program.

If you had a UNIX system with a normal shell, you could put the process
into the background, like this:

        foo:
                program1 &
                program2 &

(the "&" tells the shell to put the program into the background).  You
mentioned you're using Windows, but I don't know if you're using Cygwin
(which has, I believe, a UNIX-style shell) or MingW or whatever.  I
don't know how to put a program into the background on Windows.

If no one here answers you might ask on the address@hidden mailing
list, which is for Windows-specific make questions.