Re: how can gnu make return 2 and not show any errors?

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: how can gnu make return 2 and not show any errors?
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 12:55:27 -0400

On Tue, 2009-10-20 at 09:43 -0700, Mark Galeck (CW) wrote:

> How can it be – my gnu make is returning 2 but does not show any
> errors.  I am using –include directive, but I checked and indeed, if
> make ignores errors because of –include, then it returns 0, as it
> should.
>
> So what else could it be?  (I can’t send you a short example, I can’t
> find the short example that would do that, and the makefile I am
> working with is in excess of 10000 lines).

Are you sure there wasn't an error further up the build?

There are some bugs in 3.81 around error handling and "-include" but I'm
not sure if these exact symptoms would be involved.  Boris fixed them a
week or two ago.  I'm working on getting out a release candidate for
3.82, so if you wanted to try the GNU make currently in CVS and see if
that worked any better it would be interesting.