RE: if SHELL not set, COMSPEC used - not working?

From: Mark Galeck (CW)
Subject: RE: if SHELL not set, COMSPEC used - not working?
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 22:44:42 -0800

>Could it be that you also have a *nix 'make' installed, which might
be called instead of a native 'make'? If you would add these lines:
        echo $(MAKE)
        echo $(SHELL)
to your default rule, then we'd know for sure.

I think I am calling the correct make, as you can see, it was built for
i386-pc, "mingw32" is some kind of GNU distribution, not sure exactly:

D:\tmp>type makefile
foobar:
                @echo $(MAKE)
                @echo $(SHELL)
                ver

D:\tmp>make foobar
make
C:/Tools/cygwin/bin/sh.exe
ver
process_begin: CreateProcess(NULL, ver, ...) failed.
make (e=2): The system cannot find the file specified.
make: *** [foobar] Error 2

D:\tmp>make -version
GNU Make 3.81
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.