how to disable all checking of prerequisites

From: Mark Galeck (CW)
Subject: how to disable all checking of prerequisites
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 18:15:14 -0800

Hello,  I have another, hopefully last one J, question on efficiency, to which the likely answer maybe “you can’t do that”.

What I would want, is to set up a rule:

foobar: foobar0 foobar1 foobar2 … foobar1000

with no commands, all I want is to check, whether file foobar is older than any of the prerequisites.  Assume all prerequisites exist, and I do not want make to check anything about them, whether there are any rules for them, etc etc.  Just check the timestamps and compare with that of foobar.

Even if do make –r, and I try various combinations of ::, ; and stuff, make always checks lots and lots of things, for example, if there are any implicit rules (and does not find any).  So the above, takes 10 seconds on my machine, when checking 1000 timestamps, should be much much faster.

How?  Thank you!  Mark