RE: how to output newline at the end of making a target (on Windows)

From: Paul Smith
Subject: RE: how to output newline at the end of making a target (on Windows)
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 18:14:15 -0500

On Sun, 2009-11-29 at 15:11 -0800, Mark Galeck (CW) wrote:
> Oh I see, I thought it must be a "real command", since it worked with
> the redirection.  Seems like my problem was, I did not know about the
> "fast path processing" - I don't see this in the manual, where should
> I look for this information?

It's not in the manual because it's supposed to be invisible to the user
(that is, it's an implementation detail, not a user-visible feature, and
so not documented in the user manual).  The idea is to improve
performance by avoiding an extra (and sometimes costly) shell invocation
in situations where it can be shown that the results are the same either
way.

If it's visible to the user, as it is in this case, then there's a bug
in the fast path processing.