RE: why are all prerequisites timestamps checked, even after one is foun

From: Mark Galeck (CW)
Subject: RE: why are all prerequisites timestamps checked, even after one is found to be newer than target??
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 09:16:49 -0800

> Then why did it continue to check the timestamps of all the rest of
> the prerequisites??  Is this not a waste of time?  How to prevent that
> behavior?

>Make will always update every target that is out of date.  Remember that
every prerequisite is also a target: make works in a recursive manner.

Yes I am aware of that Paul.  That's not what I was asking...  I saw that make
checked all the prerequisites and remade them as necessary.  I have no problem
with that part.

But what happened afterwards, after all the prerequisites were recursively
treated, then make started checking all the timestamps.  After finding one that
was newer, it nevertheless continued checking all the other ones.

Mark