creating multiple outputs with a tool in one step

From: James McElhannon
Subject: creating multiple outputs with a tool in one step
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 09:04:45 -0500

Suppose I have a file A that is dependent on B and C.  I have a tool, mytool, that can create B and C at one time from their respective sources.  When making A, I would want make to do "mytool B C" as one of its steps.

A.y: B.z C.z
    ... steps for A ...
    mytool B.z C.z
    ... steps for A...

%.z:
    mytool ...

mytool has a big startup time, so the time to do two runs, one for B and one for C, is *much* longer than doing them both at once (which is why the tool was created to create multiple outputs in one run).

If I try to use the pattern for %.y, then I get multiple runs for mytool.  If I hardcode the target A, then I can get it to work since I have control over everything.

How can I do this?

Thanks in advance,
James