Re: Make question

From: Eric Melski
Subject: Re: Make question
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 08:40:09 -0800

Canham, Timothy K (316C) wrote:
We have code generation, and we have  a rule like this:

fileout1.txt fileout2.txt fileout3.txt: filein.txt
	filegen.sh filein.txt

We run a parallel make (make -j x), and what I've found is that the rule often gets invoked three times, causes files to overwrite each other.

Is there a way to specify the rule so that the rule is only invoked once in a parallel make, or is there a technique that accomplishes the same thing?

Have a look at my article "Rules with Multiple Outputs in GNU Make" at CM Crossroads:
http://cmcrossroads.com/ask-mr-make/12908-rules-with-multiple-outputs-in-gnu-make
That covers the various techniques for solving this problem and the pros and cons of each.

HTH,

Eric Melski
Electric Cloud, Inc.
http://blog.electric-cloud.com/